Wednesday

Amazing Two Finger Potato Salad

     Lately I've gone crazy with this summers bounty of produce. It helps that there's so much of it that most stores are having great sales. So I bought some beautiful, buttery, Yukon Gold potatoes and made potato salad with them. I call this salad Amazing because my son who is a manager at a small restaurant  tasted it and said it was amazing. He is my best measurement of a successful dish. He doesn't ever hold back to spare my feelings if he feels that something I made is bad. I call it Two Finger because I used a new cleaver to cut the potatoes and of course I cut into two of my fingers. What was I thinking? After I'd done that and had to throw away the potato I'd been cutting, I finished cutting the potatoes with a proper knife and pulled out my little chopper for the rest of the vegetables.
  
    I have a bullet blender which I love but when I try to just chop onions they always end of liquefied. I needed my onions to be whole crispy finely chopped pieces for the texture. The chopper I have is one of those tiny electric ones with the horizontal blades at the bottom. It works perfectly for the texture I want.

     I will give you the recipe but as with all of my recipes the measurements are approximate because I don't measure. Add the ingredients to your own taste.

     To get the proper doneness of the potatoes I always peel and cut them into the size pieces I want before I boil them. I cut the potatoes small for this salad, and I just keep testing their doneness every few minutes after it's boiled for about five minutes.
     While I'm waiting for them to be ready I start to load my chopper with the following,
  • 1/4 sweet onion
  • 1/4 red pepper
  • 1/4 orange pepper
  • 1/4 yellow pepper
  • 1/4 green pepper
  • 1 stalk of celery
  • 2 radishes
     I chop them to a partial mushy consistency and partial crunchy diced fine. The potatoes are ready so I put them into cold water to stop the cooking process and cool them for the salad. Mix all of the vegetables together in a large bowl and get out your fresh dill. I use scissors and cut tiny pieces off of about 4 or 5 dill stems. Add salt and pepper.

     Now it's time for the secret sauce. I put in
  • 1 cup of mayo made with olive oil
  • 1/2 cup of sour cream
  • 1/2 cup of plain yogurt
  • 1 splash of milk
     Mix it all together and you're in for a real treat. Enjoy!

Photo by Roland

0 comments :