Wednesday

Fruits and Vegetables for Great Flavor

     I love to cook and come up with new recipes. Today my son went to the grocery store and brought back some pork chops, potatoes, and soda. Having very little else in the house I really had to think about what I wanted to do with those nice thick boneless chops and all those potatoes. Even with a broken oven it didn't take long for me to come up with a delicious recipe for pork chops and potatoes.

     I have an electric roaster just the right size to lay out four of those chops with the fifth at the top of them. I also have a jar of mushroom soup or gravy powder. So I started with a bowl of hot water and added enough of the mushroom powder to make a soup, Then I added about a quarter to half cup of cola, an ounce of orange marmalade, 5 chopped cloves of garlic, 1/2 of a large onion chopped, and a sprinkle of salt.

     I put the chops in the roaster and five potatoes I had cut into large pieces. Set the roaster on low like a slow cooker and let them cook for about three hours. After about a half hour the house started smelling like something wonderful was cooking, and it was.

Photo by I Love Butter

     The potatoes turned a golden color and took on the wonderful flavor of the marinade I cooked them in. The chops were wonderfully tender, however next time I make this I will take some of the liquid and make a gravy to pour over the chops as they tend to dry out a little as they cool down on the plate. A nice gravy should take care of that problem.

0 comments :