Tuesday

The Rest of The Red Cabbage


     I had bought a head of red cabbage for my vegetable soup but only used about a quarter of the head. What to do, what to do with the rest of the cabbage. I just made some pea and carrot salad, so I didn't want to make cole slaw too. I'm probably the only one in my family who's going to eat it anyway so I needed to use the cabbage for something else.

     My mother used to make cabbage & beans, which we all loved. So that's what I settled on. It's a simple but flavorful recipe. Chop your cabbage into short strips and boil till soft. In another pan you saute chopped onion in some oil or shortening till they're transparent and well carmelized.

     Drain your cabbage, add the onions, and a can or two of pork & beans. Mix well and heat through. You can use it as a side dish for some kind of sausage or hot dog, or even as a main dish. We love it. If you can't or don't want to use pork & beans, you can use baked beans of some kind.

Photo by Sanberdoo

0 comments :