Thursday

MY HEALTHY ONION SOUP

I make no secret about my love for onions and it just so happened I was given a couple extra bags of them this week. I also hate to see food not used and wasted. What to do, what to do?

I am trying to get back into by diet so blooming onions were out of the question for now. Then I thought about how wonderful french onion soup was and with the cooler weather it seemed fated for me to make some.

I hate to follow recipes. I like to be creative and just use them as a starting point. I also hate to have to buy all kinds of ingredients just to make one dish. So using what I had in my kitchen with carbs, calories, and fat in mind, this is what I came up with.

Chop six to eight medium onions into large pieces. Add a little bit of olive oil to the onions in a pan, just enough to coat the onions, and cook until onions are becoming translucent and brown. Add about 4 cups of water and a packet of dry onion soup mix and heat. Pour in one can of beef broth, a dash of garlic powder, and a dash of hot sauce. Simmer for about ten minutes. Enjoy!

Now, if I didn't have to follow a diet and had the ingredients I would also have thrown in some sugar while cooking the onions to further caramelize them. Then after simmering put some large croutons or dried piece of french or Italian bread on top of a bowl of the soup and lay a couple slices of provolone or like cheese on top of the bread, then throw some grated Parmesan cheese on top of that and broil till cheese is melted and browning.

1 comments :

Anonymous said...

thanks for the recepie
i will try this out later :)

great job