Wednesday

SAVE MONEY LIVE LONGER!



It all started with the local grocery store selling chicken leg quarters for 39 cents a pound. I bought 20 pounds and separated it into 5 lb. bags. Three of the bags went into the freezer and the remaining five pounds went into a large pot for boiling.

Unless I'm using the chicken for a particular recipe, I boil it and strip all the meat off into pieces. With a large container of this cooked chicken my family could make sandwiches, add it to soups or salads, and make tacos or whatever they wanted. That lasted two to three days in my frig before my family finished it.

Here's the best part, the water that I used to cook the chicken in, I saved in two containers and put in the frig to cool. The next day when I checked it, as expected the fat had risen and become solid on the top. I took a big spoon and dug it out, leaving me with some wonderful homemade chicken broth.

The broth then went into the same large stock pot and to that I added enough water to fill the pot 3/4 full. I then added the following ingredients for my great cabbage soup.

  • One head of finely chopped cabbage
  • A large handful of thinly sliced baby carrots
  • Three or four tablespoons of milled flax seed
  • One large onion, chopped
  • Four or five large cloves of garlic, pressed
  • Large handful of green beans
  • A little beef bouillon
  • One packet of vegetable soup mix
  • A sprinkle of celery salt and regular salt
  • A large can of chopped tomatoes
  • A generous splash of red wine vinegar
The cabbage was also on sale for 29 cents a lb. and the rest of the ingredients I already had in my kitchen. I was out of olive oil otherwise that would have gone into the pot also.

For dinner that night we had the chicken rolled up into corn tortillas and ate it with a steaming bowl of my cabbage soup. My kids even dipped the rolled up tacos into the soups broth, it was delicious. My son's friend who hates most vegetables couldn't get enough. We had meals out of all this for three to four days after. The last of the chicken I returned to the pot with the soup and finished it that way.

It was days of cheap, delicious, and super healthy meals for the four of us. What more could you ask for?

0 comments :